Thursday, June 6, 2013

Shipping!

No, not me. The trailer. The word is that my new Lance 1685 is shipping from the factory in Lancaster, California today and should be in Yakima on Monday or thereabouts. It will get checked out and then next weekend I'll head to Yakima to attach it to my truck for the first time.
 
The trailer is 20'9" from tongue to tail. Which sounds kind of risqué. It's dry weight is just 3,500 pounds with GVWR of 5,100. A pretty cool design on the outside, though in general, I think all the trailer manufacturers go overboard with their graphics. I'll survive. Some of the features you can see in this picture include the ladder to the roof where the 160 watt solar panel will be installed. The roof is fully weight-supporting, so I can imagine a night or two under cloudless skies with the stars spread out above me. </waxing poetic> The awning is 12' wide and extends 16 feet out for plenty of outdoor living space. The front, over the tongue, features two LP gas tanks, two twelve-volt batteries, and a bike rack.

 
While the full length of the trailer inside the walls is just 16'3", it has a feeling of spaciousness helped along by the 3'-deep slide-out dinette/second bed (for when the daughter visits). It really opens up the floor space so it doesn't feel cramped.


The bathroom is compact, but very functional. I might have wished for glass doors on the shower, but the skylight and powerful bathroom fan make up for a lot. Also, this is one of the few travel trailers that actually has a porcelain toilet that doesn't wobble around like some of the plastic ones do. Notice there is even lighting above the vanity mirror--something else I found uncommon among travel trailers.


This is the whole interior, seen from the entry. The queen-size bed sits across the trailer instead of sticking out in the middle, something that is a colossal waste of space in many larger trailers. It has a nice headboard for sitting up reading or watching TV. The TV is hidden in this picture on an arm behind the refrigerator so it can be seen from the bed or swung out for viewing from the dinette. It's a 12-volt LED TV, so I don't need a generator to watch satellite TV. The satellite bubble is movable, so as long as I'm within 25' of a view of the southern sky, I have both television and Internet.


Looking back toward the entry from the corner of the dinette, you can see my kitchen. Three-burner stove, oven, microwave, refrigerator/freezer, and single basin sink. I have to figure out exactly how I'll be arranging food and cooking gear in this, but it's unlikely that I'll be feeding a dozen people from this kitchen. All the lighting is also 12-volt LED to maximize the amount of time I can function off the grid. The only thing I really need a generator or shore-power for is the air conditioner and outlets for computer/appliances.

There you have it. Home in a box. With luck, next weekend I'll be able to post pictures from my own unit instead of the stock photos from the company. Hot damn!

No comments:

Post a Comment