Thursday, June 27, 2013

Interview with the Author - Why?

This post requires a little explanation. I'm a writer. I write novels. And other stuff. A technique that I've used since the early 80s is to interview my characters. I find out lots of interesting things that I can then put in my story, or choose to ignore and keep just between the two of us. I also write some works under a pseudonym. In the interest of fair play, at the conclusion of my last story, I allowed my lead character to interview my pseudonymous alter-ego. Surprisingly, it worked. So, I decided I'd try it here and let my truck--First Exit--interview me.

First Exit: So, Driver. . .

NATHAN: I have a name.

First Exit: About that. . . We've been together almost three months now. How did you decide my name?

NATHAN: It was a spur-of-the-moment thing. I registered Ford Sync and since it's a Microsoft product, I had to name my device. That's you. I decided on the name First Exit because anytime we find ourselves on an Interstate, that's what we'll be looking for.

First Exit: So you see us doing a lot of off-roading, splashing through riverbeds and over rocks like some television commercial? What about my complexion?

NATHAN: Don't worry. I'll give you frequent baths. I don't really see us just taking off across the desert. Remember, you are going to be pulling a couple tons behind you.

First Exit: That's me. Just a pack-horse. So here's the burning question: Why? Why are you doing this? You're a little old for a mid-life crisis.

NATHAN: I hope not. But it's a fair question. I've always wanted to see the country in a more relaxed way. When I did my book tour in September of 2011, I drove 7,500 miles in 30 days. I enjoyed seeing the country, my friends, and even my relatives, but I wasn't that crazy about driving five or six hundred miles in a day. I wanted to have a more leisurely journey.

First Exit: Come on. Give us the inside scoop.

NATHAN: Okay. I grew up in rural Indiana just a couple miles outside of Mishawaka. A long time ago. Here. Take a look.
First Exit: Aww. Isn't that cute?

NATHAN: Sure. Real pioneer stock. That was 1952 or 53, before we had an address. Well we had an address, but not a location. Our address was Rural Route 2, Mishawaka, Indiana. No street. No zipcode. No number. So from the time I was old enough to remember, I was told that we lived eight tenths of a mile north of U.S. 20 on Elder Road. I crossed U.S. Hwy 20, called McKinley Hwy, nearly every day of my childhood, going to church, going to school, delivering newspapers, going to town. Each day, I'd look up and down that road and wonder where it went.

First Exit: Boston, MA to Newport, OR, except not called a U.S. Hwy in Yellowstone. It's in my GPS.

NATHAN: Well, sure. but that just tells you the end points. I'm interested in the journey. If I grew up just eight tenths of a mile off U.S. 20, what else was that close to the longest U.S. Highway in the country.

First Exit: So the trip is all about traveling from end to end on the old highway?

NATHAN: That one and several others. We aren't going to start there.

First Exit: Why?

NATHAN: Snow. I expect to take at least two months to make that trip and I don't want to be caught in snow going across the northern tier. We'll travel that road next spring.

First Exit: Where to first, o mighty driver?

NATHAN: After our shakedown two weeks, when we're going to be on U.S. 2 across Washington State, we'll head south along U.S. Hwy 95 from the Canadian border in Idaho to the Mexican border in Arizona. Of course, we'll be making a bunch of side-trips, so that 1,700 mile segment will take about two months.
First Exit: And for the winter?

NATHAN: I'm thinking we'll follow the Gulf Coast to Key West.

First Exit: Just point my head. I'll haul your home.

1 comment:

  1. Hi Nathan, so glad to be sharing this great journey with you. Looking forward to you showing me many parts of North America as you undertake your journey.

    ReplyDelete