Sunday, February 14, 2021

Has it been so long?

Well, well, well. Valentine’s Day and I last posted just after New Years’. Whatever happened? I’ll get around telling you that. Mostly it’s been more isolation. But there are other things.

Since November, I’ve begun four novels and have only finished one. That’s Devon Layne’s The Assassin, which I just finished the final draft of and sent to editors at last. I’ve also released a backlog of books over the past two and a half months.


Nathan Everett, A Place at the Table

Devon Layne, Pussy Pirates

Devon Layne, Not This Time

Devon Layne, The Art and Science of Love

Devon Layne, The Hero Lincoln Trilogy



In addition, I’ve released special patron only editions of The Gutenberg Rubric, For Money or Mayhem, Drawing on the Darkside of the Brain, Model Student Books 1, 2, & 3, and Things I Never Told My Wife. To join the reading challenge, join either the Nathan Everett Patreon (http://www.patreon.com/nathaneverett) or the Devon Layne Patreon (http://www.patreon.com/aroslav).

And various others that were finished and just sitting there but had never been released outside their serialized versions, or had never been released in serial. Sounds like an impressive batch of work, doesn’t it? But mostly, it has been busywork. Mike used to tell me, “It looks like work.” It’s actually what I do when my mind is not fully functioning and I need to accomplish something.


And my mind hasn’t been fully functioning, which is why I maintain that It Ain’t Immortality But…, A Place Among Peers, and Drawing on the Dark Side of the Brain 2 have all been stuck for the past weeks. Around Christmas, my heart went back into A-fib and has been working overtime to fuel my brain with a limited supply of oxygen. It makes it difficult to concentrate and maintain my focus on projects that need attention.

The answer, of course, is another ablation and I’m scheduled for it on Thursday this week. Hopefully, once I’m back in rhythm, my head will clear and I’ll start turning out books at my noted previous rate. I released some pretty darn good books last year and plan to get back to that as quickly as possible.


In brighter news…

My daughter announced her engagement this month. I’m so thrilled for her I’m breathless. (Oh. That’s my heart. But I’m still thrilled.) We all like the guy. They make a good pair. They are planning a small wedding this summer. Nothing more specific than that. I just want the whole world to be a better place for them both!

Mostly, I’ve maintained utter isolation this winter, which hasn’t made coping much easier. I’m finally scheduled for my COVID vaccine in two weeks. The water has been shut off at the RV park for four days because of freezing weather and I’m hoping it will be back on and I can wash the dirty dishes in my sink when I get back over there after my ablation.


Currently, I’m staying with Michele and Jason until I get through this procedure. Quinne will provide my transport to and from the hospital, but the new rules dictate that she can’t stick around once I’m inside. I don’t want her exposed to anything, so that’s a good thing. Still, it’s going to be a long day. After the ablation, they say not to move for four hours. That was okay when there was someone to talk to. I’m just hoping I can sleep through most of that period. At least I can drink black coffee in the morning before I go in!

As my sister has quoted: “I’m not saying I’d die if I didn’t have my coffee, but others might.”

It is time to get back to writing the next great American novel. I just need to decide which one it is!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment