Sunday, September 8, 2019

You Live and Learn. At Any Rate, You Live


That, by the way, is a quote from Douglas Adams, Mostly Harmless. But, it’s also a lot about the way I’ve felt these past two weeks. At least I’m living. There have been really good days and some pretty unpleasant ones. I’m still not near up to par with writing, but I’m getting some done. Have elected to do a lot of formatting of files, which is easier to focus on and not as creative. Also, some editing.

One day this week, I did my laundry. But looking at it in the basket at the foot of the bed, I elected to just sleep in my recliner rather than go through the work of folding and putting away the clothes and then making the bed. I was too tired to make anything for dinner and just went to sleep. The next day, I folded clothes, put them away, made the bed, did dishes, and had a great night’s sleep. The next day I was drained all day.

Overall, I’d say things are improving gradually. Nothing will really be resolved until after the procedure on October 9.

That isn’t stopping my girlfriend from visiting in ten days. We’ve decided we’ve waited long enough with various illnesses delaying our get together all summer. Now it’s time to find out if we have that special something that clicks when we’re face to face instead of keyboard to keyboard!

* * *
I ran across an article in my Facebook feed that the old Bourbon Community Center gym is looking for a rescuer.

According to https://www.indianalandmarks.org/2019/08/historic-bourbon-gym-needs-a-champion/ the gym was built in 1928 to meet new state requirements for physical education. When the 1918 school building (from which I graduated in 1968) was demolished in the 70s, the gym was left standing. Now, Triton High School has a new facility and doesn’t know what to do with the landmark in Bourbon.

I looked into the gym the last time I drove through Bourbon, Indiana and a bunch of guys my age were reliving their glory days on the court. This was where we played ball, had PE, sat through convocations, had plays and concerts, and graduated. Most of my memories of the old Triton High School are set in this gym. It looks small, but even when I graduated, the school had fewer than 250 students. And that was a consolidation of three townships!

It looks like the stage went goodbye with the demolition of the school. It was behind the yellow wall.

A little nostalgia has kept me from a diatribe on fiscal conservatives and social moderates for another week. One more reason to thank the old gym in Bourbon.


No comments:

Post a Comment