Tuesday, May 20, 2014

Tennessee


I crossed the border from North Carolina into Tennessee on Wednesday the 14th and settled in for the weekend. There were two reasons for that. I imagined that it would take me a good bit of time to see the Great Smoky Mountains and it was raining. I didn’t want to drive.

By Saturday, I was sick of the rain and decided to go explore the Smokies anyway.

They are beautiful, but because of the constant rain and mist, the pictures are not spectacular. That haze of gray that hangs around the mountains, though, definitely earns them the title of “Smoky.” Perhaps the high point (literally) of my trek across the crest at New Pass was crossing the Appalachian Trail. I took a look at it and walked out along the trail toward Maine, exactly 100 steps. According to my calculations, I have exactly 4,125,424 steps to go. Someday.

After I’d crossed over the Smokies, back into North Carolina, I decided to travel along the Blue Ridge Parkway. I had it in mind to head generally Northward along the Parkway when I broke camp on Monday. After seventeen miles, I decided this was not actually the kid of route I wanted to pull the trailer along. Some of the overpasses were barely higher than my trailer and I wouldn’t be in my own lane when I rounded a few of the curves. When I exited, though, I encountered some elk bedded down in the greenway of the cloverleaf.


As an alternative, when I broke camp on Monday, I just set the GPS to go toward the nephews and nieces in Virginia without using freeways. What a beautiful journey. Just before I crossed into Virginia, I paused at a NASCAR mecca long enough to take a photo of The Coliseum. So here’s to all my NASCAR loving relatives. I have made the pilgrimage!

And then there was Virginia.

No comments:

Post a Comment