Thursday, May 8, 2014

Catching up a little at a time. What happened to May?

If you’ve followed this blog in real time, you  know that I didn’t really post this on May 8. I’ve been really behind as I’ve focused on some new writing. I have had adventures, though, and will  make a few short scene posts before I finally catch everything up.

You know that awkward moment when you look up from your computer and think, “Mmm. Something smells good. I wonder who’s cooking?” Then realize you are the one cooking? I’ve eaten several over-cooked meals the past month. It’s really disconcerting to look over and realize that the pot of coffee I started making only has an inch in the pot. Not because I drank that much, but because over the past half hour I’ve forgotten to put any more water on the grounds. I make it a rule to only use one coffee cup so I don’t have half-full ones lying all over the trailer.

What would be more logical to do after Savannah than go to Charleston? And what is to see in Charleston but Fort Sumter. There’s an interesting phenomenon in South Carolina and to a somewhat lesser extent other states in the Southeast. They are incredibly proud of their role as a primary battle front in the revolutionary war and the founding of the United States. They are equally proud of being the first to secede from the union and found the Confederate States. Equal pride in building it and destroying it.

Well, Fort Sumter is a symbol of both. After hearing about and reading about this landmark for many years, I finally got to pay my $18 (for the ferry, not the park) to go visit it. It was interesting and even moving. I spent most of the ferry ride inside where it was air conditioned. It started getting pretty darn hot by the time I got back at 2:30. That didn’t stop me from wandering around old town Charleston for a while, though. After finding an incredible coffee shop, I kept wandering and found a wonderful brew house. I had to stop and enjoy a little refreshment and some ribs.

This meal sparked a great memory of childhood. Not the ribs. The cole slaw.

Bizarre memory. I love Cole slaw. I'm eating at the Smokehouse in Charleston and with my ribs came a big helping of really good Cole slaw. I got to thinking about high Triton High School and the little cafe on the main corner on Bourbon, IN. Occasionally we would go there on Sunday after Mom finished preaching. I remember one time when I ordered a dinner-size plateful of their cole slaw for lunch. I thought they had the best.. Occasionally we would go there on Sunday after Mom finished preaching. I remember at least one occasion on which I ordered a dinner-sized plateful of their Cole slaw for lunch. I thought they had the best. Funny memory.

I ended my stay in Charleston with a real discovery. A little tobacco shop happened to have three tins (fifteen cigars) of my favorite Macanudo 1968 Courts. I bought them all and sat in front of the trailer that night with a glass of scotch and a great cigar. It was a little strange, though, to hear an ice cream vendor come through the RV park with its speakers playing Yankee Doodle!

I had planned to drive west from Charleston to Atlanta to see friend, GG. Alas, it was Mothers’ Day weekend and she went to Oregon to be with her daughter. Have to see her on the way back!  So I headed north to Myrtle Beach, instead. On the way I stopped at Brookgreen Gardens, a fantastic sculpture garden that my editor, Jim, turned me onto. I was impressed with the headless statue.

Oops!

Finally found a campsite a few miles north of Myrtle Beach that was beautiful, quiet and wooded.

I headed back into the town that was mostly a long strip that was a wanna be amusement park, but once you got downtown and to the beach it was really beautiful. I had lunch with Don’s son David at The Captain’s House restaurant and then took a walk on the beach in front of it. Both were exquisite.


And that was South Carolina!

No comments:

Post a Comment