Sunday, October 31, 2021

Take a Walk Between the Worlds

 

That’s what I plan to do tonight. In addition to celebrating Samhain, I’ll be celebrating HalloNaNoWeen at midnight. Yes, I’ve been celebrating this for seventeen years now. At midnight tonight, I will begin my eighteenth NaNoWriMo (National Novel Writing Month). And how spookily appropriate that this year, I’ll be launching a story about a Demon. Just seems right!

The hardest part this year has been waiting for midnight tonight, because I just want to start writing! I’ve written 8,300 words of scene setting, world building, voice capturing, and outlining in prep, and I know there will be much more. All for Bob's Memoir: 4000 Years as a Free Demon.

So, Bob is a demon conjured by an inept adept some 4000 years ago. The mage slurred the name Beelzebub during the conjuring and it came out Beetlebob. When Bob appeared, the mage died of shock, creating a convenient bridge for Bob to cross into the human world—a free demon. He’s been a happy-go-lucky (mostly lucky) fellow ever since.

And like most of my stories, I’ll write just outside what is generally accepted regarding demons, history, famous people, gods, and primordial ooze. The story promises to be a little spooky, a little sexy, and a lot funny.

There are, believe it or not, people who want to read my words of wit in their raw, unedited form. I call them patrons. Devon Layne Sausage Grinder patrons and Nathan Everett Fifth Wheel patrons pay $10 per month and in November will receive daily updates on Bob’s Memoir! Furthermore, they’ll be invited to a private Discord channel where they can discuss the story and suggest future developments as I’m writing. If all goes well, there will even be a time designated during which I share my screen and you can watch the words take shape on the page!

Here are the links to join the pages. Either Patreon page will give you all the same benefits.

Nathan Everett: https://www.patreon.com/nathaneverett

Devon Layne: https://www.patreon.com/aroslav

The story starts—and invitations to discord come out—tomorrow.


So, what else is new? I’ve spent the past two weeks slowly making my way south from Sun Meadow in Idaho to King’s Row in Las Vegas. I’ve set up camp and am ready to write.

The location is very nice, quiet, and roomy. I even have a storage shed, so I don’t need to keep things in the back of my truck. Perfectly beautiful spot for my new trailer. I changed my route coming down after four days of rain in Winnemucca and news that Austin (my next scheduled stop) had snow and 23 degrees. After eating my fill of Basque food, I headed down US 95 to Hawthorne, NV for a couple of nights.



The Basque delicacies included two things I would never have thought up to try. The first was to dish the Basque beans right onto my salad (on the advice of my waitress). I could have made a meal on that alone! Delicious. The second, equally unlikely, was prawns sauteed in cream sauce with some special spices and served over a bed of garlic mashed potatoes. I ate far more than I was comfortable eating. It was just so good!


I passed up staying at the infamous Clown Motel in Tonopah and was quite thankful I had my trailer tucked away in an RV park a couple of miles away. I had intended to stay in Beatty, NV, just 110 miles out from Las Vegas, but it was Beatty Days and every camping spot in the area was full until November 2! Who knew? That meant that I had a 220 mile drive from Tonopah to King’s Row on Friday, but I was still here by 1:00 and managed to get my trailer parked without difficulty.


I bought a lovely bottle of Saint Émelion Grand Cru to have with my prime rib steak and discovered I had either given away all my bottle openers or I’d hidden them so well I could no longer find them. My new next-door neighbor came through for me and loaned me a corkscrew. I know that is not a wine glass, but I’m a little short on glassware, too!

So, supplies have been acquired. First nap is out of the way. I’m nearly ready for midnight to come. Let’s get this party started!

No comments:

Post a Comment