Sunday, October 11, 2020

To celebrate or mourn?

No, this is not a political post. Get your mind out of the gutter. I'm celebrating having found a campsite for the winter.


It's Point Hudson Marina and RV Park in Port Townsend, WA where I will have a chilly and rainy winter, but I shouldn't completely freeze. That picture is facing Puget Sound southeast. Here's are a couple of maps for orientation.



I'll be facing more or less northeast with my rear picture window. Across toward Whidbey Island. It's a good spot but Washington Lease Tax almost put it out of reach. $80 a month in tax to rent the RV pad!

Then in other news, I broke a computer this week and of course some of my most valuable files weren't backed up recently. Information I had posted to one of my websites was recoverable. Files I'd received in email were recoverable. My current development and recent dev files that hadn't been uploaded yet weren't so lucky. Remember those two books I released on my birthday?



I'm glad they are on sale at Amazon and Barnes & Noble because all the production files are gone! For Mayhem or Madness was backed up to my website for release but I hadn't uploaded Not This Time yet. And there were other books I'd recently formatted for release on my website and first time in print or eBook. Like The Hero Lincoln Trilogy. I'd show you a picture of the cover, but I don't have one. All the edits of all three books and the layout for the trilogy in a single volume plus four covers--gone.

And I need to start over from my editors' files on putting Rise and Awaken together. I'd gotten through sixteen of twenty-three chapters and was very pleased with the improvements. I have the editing files in email.


I'd uploaded quite a lot of my development material for my new Swarm Cycle endeavor, The
Assassin
, but in a burst of inspiration early this week, I'd done an amazing world-building document, a population development spreadsheet, an action outline, not yet organized into a plot outline, and a detailed listing of issues I needed to deal with in one part of the novel. Gone.

I guess that's the mournful part. A lot of documents I need to rebuild and hope I can be as brilliant as I was the first time around. 

So, I'll toss out a bit of good news, I managed to get an appointment for a couple of badly needed trailer repairs before the winter, so I'll be leaving Sun Meadow the 20th to drop off my trailer in Burlington, WA on the 21st. I'll be staying in Lynnwood until the first when I pick up the trailer and move across the Sound to that beautiful spot shown above. Yippee!

1 comment:

  1. I would love to spend a winter in the PNW and I really liked Port Townsend when Roseann and I visited. PNW would beat heck out of upstate New York. Now that I've been reclassified a remote worker, I totally could go back on the road as a full timer, but I'm fortunate to have (relationship) reasons to stay put. I wish you a good winter.

    ReplyDelete