Tuesday, March 24, 2020

Has it really been this long? What a year!


I’m sure you’ve received at least a dozen if not a hundred messages from corporations, banks, stores, governments, and others telling you what they are doing to protect customers and employees from COVID-19. I’m “sheltering in place” at the Tropic Star RV Resort in Pharr, TX where the grounds look rather empty. Of course, in this part of Texas, “sheltering in place” means board up the doors and windows, and head for your safe room because a hurricane is coming. Let us say they have a slightly less intense term for it down here. Instead of a leisurely drive up the Rio Grande Valley and a visit to Big Bend National Park, I look out my window at empty RV parking spots as far as the eye can see.


This is what self-isolation looks like to me.


I will be here for a month yet and then hope travel is permitted again. So, yesterday, I went out to pick up essentials at the grocery store. The line to get in was a block plus long, with everyone respectfully maintaining six feet distance by standing on the marks the store put down on the sidewalk. When a dozen people exited, a dozen were allowed in. I got my eggs, potatoes, bread, and olives. (How can I drink my quarantinis without olives? When I went to the store last week, they were out. Stockpiling olives???)

And I’ve been thinking about what I could do to ‘help out’ in a time like this, besides just staying away from people. One thing I’ve discovered through my vast research on Facebook is that people seem to be reading more. Music to an author’s ears, but people are also worried about surviving on limited income, unemployment, and stock crashes.

So, I’ve decided to offer as many of my books and stories as possible for free online reading.

I’ve been moving this direction for a while now and this week took time away from writing stories to completely revamp my websites and bring more stories online.

Please go explore my website! http://www.nathaneverett.com

There are still a couple of stories I want to get up there. I’ve been writing for forty years and not everything has been published. I’ll probably put a couple more up before the month is over.


By the end of June, I hope to have my newest novel published. It is being edited now and I’ll still have a few rewrites to do. But American Royalty 1: Coming of Age (likely still to be renamed) is getting along well.

I am also in the process of updating my Devon Layne website with all my erotica stories available free for online viewing. There are a lot more stories in that portfolio, so it is likely to take a good bit longer to get it fixed up. Everything is working though. Please visit:

Visit at http://www.devonlayne.com and verify you are really an adult!

I have new stories that I am working on. One is a contemporary adaptation of a book I read many years ago. It started with Mississippi blowing up in a nuclear reactor implosion and proceeded to the discovery that every man on earth had been sterilized by the event. Until it is discovered that one man was a mile deep in a lead mine at the time of the disaster. It’s like ‘duck and cover’ all over again.


I posted a few inquiries and a reader correctly identified the book as Pat Frank’s 1946 novel, Mr. Adam. I’m enjoying working on it, but every time I make up some new and ridiculous behavior on the part of people or the government, I read it the next day in the newspaper. It’s hard to keep up with pushing the envelope!

I have several other works on the docket, including a new Dag Hamar mystery that I have about half of a first draft of. I’ll get back to working on that as well.

Since I write whatever is in my head, I’m sure I’ll have some more exciting adventures upcoming. Stay safe and be well!

No comments:

Post a Comment