Saturday, January 18, 2020

A week in a two-star hotel

There are no pictures with this post. I haven't been anywhere or done anything.

Monday, I turned my trailer over to Camping World to have the roof replaced. They thought they might be able to finish it in a day but to be safe, I booked two nights at the Ramada. I checked out on Wednesday and went to pick it up, but there was a problem. The gutter rails, which they normally reuse, needed to be replaced. They'd been ordered and would be in at 10 on Thursday. Also, they were having difficulty with the microwave/convection oven replacement. First it was ordering a trim kit, then it was a retired model, then the new model was out of stock. Finally, they said they had a unit in the shop they could install, but it had controls on the side and if they took out the controls on top for the old microwave, there would just be a hole there. So, when this microwave is installed, it will look like I have two sets of controls but only the ones on the side will work.

I checked back into the Ramada for Wednesday. Out on Thursday and spent the day in a Starbucks trying to get some work done while not having anyplace to land. Got to Camping World at 4:00, when they said it would be done, and the part still hadn't been delivered. Back to Ramada. No, the Ramada and every other hotel in the area were booked full for the rest of the weekend because of the Chili Bowl. That's not a chili cookoff event as I initially supposed. It's some kind of midget car race. By the time I found another hotel within the price range that I can't afford no matter how cheap, it was seven miles south in the area known as Broken Arrow.

Checked out again on Friday. Went to Camping World. No part. Rushed back to EconoLodge and managed to book another night. Different room. This time I called Saturday morning and was told that the part still hadn't been delivered so it would be Monday before the trailer is finished. I rushed to the lobby and extended my stay for two more nights. Then I went to Camping World and managed to get into the trailer to get some clean clothes because what I've been wearing for five days was about to rot off my body.

I still went to Starbucks and did my best to get some work done, but all I could concentrate on was formatting and editing. As a result, I only got about 5,000 words written this week. Not my best. If the trailer is ready Monday, it will be too late in the day to travel anywhere, so it will be another night in the Camping World parking lot before I can finally head south. Sheesh!

Well, that's my week. I hope yours has been better. I had no intention of spending a week in hotels and Starbucks!

No comments:

Post a Comment