Sunday, February 10, 2019

Where Did the Time Go?


This morning, I’m thinking that caption should go on the California DMV website. I went online to buy new tabs for my trailer on December 31, only to discover that if there was a change of address, I had to mail my renewal. And, California has no grace period, so mailing the renewal on January 2 meant it would cost $20 extra. The price went up every week.

So, I filled out the form, found the special envelope that said “Expedite: California DMV”, went to Blythe, and mailed the renewal along with my check, including the late fee. It’s now February 10, over a month since I sent it in, and the check still hasn’t been cashed. I’m pretty sure the fee for getting my tabs is now well over $300. Not amused.
I suppose the same could be said of me since it has been nearly a month since I updated this blog. Wow! Where did the time go?

Here in Quartzsite AZ, there is a winter phenomenon. In mid-January, the population goes from 2,000 to 250,000 as the Quartzsite PowWow, The Quartzsite RV show, and the Quartzsite Gem and Mineral show draw even more crowds than the Quartzsite 70 degrees and sunny show. One unfortunate side-effect is that Verizon has no concept that traffic increases in January and data speeds slow to a crawl. Seriously, half the time I can’t check Facebook or email. That slow. So much for unlimited high speed internet.

So, I didn’t do much internetting until I headed out for Las Vegas on the 20th. I was in disguise and changing appearance every day as I adopted the persona of author Devon Layne, writer of adult romance and adventure.
That’s my South American dictator disguise.

Of course, I was there for professional reasons. That was the week of the Adult Entertainment Expo and Devon is on the fringe of that industry with several acquaintances. He’s been trying to interest producers in scripts that actually have a storyline and dialog. Not much chance of that, but getting together with some of my favorite professionals in the industry is always worth the trip.

That was my Western Sheriff disguise.

A high point of the week, though, was meeting up with some of my friends from up north and enjoying the gaming, nightlife, and food of Las Vegas.
I was in my hip old man disguise there.

Well, it was a good week even though Doug and Colleen tried to get me to eat crawdads. Mike and I enjoyed a few good cigars. And we all got dolled up to go out and party one night.
So, after a week of leaving everything behind in Las Vegas, I headed back south for Quartzsite. I was surprised to find the desert had turned green in my absence. Water does such funny things.
I thought I was on top of everything. I got my Washington Business taxes filed. I even did my annual report (not due till end of February). I paid Mark his royalties for the past year of $14. I formatted and uploaded a new book, got my websites updated, and have gained 26 new patrons on Patreon since the last time I posted here. Life’s been good to me so far!
I’m still in disguise and several times was mistaken for “That guy on Jurassic Park”, Richard Attenborough. Apparently, they didn’t realize he died four years ago. So, several people got photos with the dead-at-90 actor.

Writing is progressing apace. January saw me already 30,000 words ahead of my writing pace goal, even with a few days of enforced wordlessness.
The major project on my desk as of February 1 is Wild Woods, the sequel to my popular novel of last year, City Limits. With the notes of my excellent editors in hand, I’m estimating Wild Woods will only require about a 50% rewrite rather than the 90% that City Limits needed. Whoopee! At the moment, I’m declaring myself to still be on-target for a June 2019 release.

Well, that’s my news of the day. No telling what will come next!

No comments:

Post a Comment