Saturday, March 5, 2016

Relaxing in Thailand

I left Hilo about 8:30 a.m. on March 1 and arrived in Bangkok about 11:30 p.m. on March 2. In doing so, I crossed the International Date Line so only 22 hours had elapsed but I lost an entire day. On the other hand, I filled out a complete set of Boeing aircraft. Flew a 777 from Honolulu to Tokyo and a 787 from Tokyo to Bangkok. I guess I haven't flown a 717, but I'm not sure a commercial carrier ever put one in service. I did fly a 707 on my first plane trip in 1970. A lot has happened since then, none of which has made flying more comfortable. Nearly broke the screen on my laptop when the dude in front of me slammed his seat back. I swear, the next time someone drops their head in my lap like that, I'd better be getting a blowjob!

I spent all day the third just lounging by the pool at the Vismaya Luxury Resort.

The hotel is kind of in the boondocks about fifteen minutes from the airport by shuttle. But the facility itself is quite lovely. Nice, comfortable room. Quiet. About a fifteen minute walk to the nearest Tesco and an open market where I intend to eat lunch today.
 Large, comfortable, and cool room.
View of the fields from my window. Looking south.

It was so relaxing that I decided to spend a second day by the pool while I made sure I was over jetlag. Well, that didn't work so well. I went up to my room for a little nap before dinner about 4:00 and woke up at half past midnight.

Decided to make a day of it anyway and took a little nap after breakfast, then caught the shuttle to the airport and took the SRT train into the heart of Bangkok. I did a lot of walking around the commercial downtown near Siam Square. Mostly high-end luxury shops. All I had to do was follow the signs.
Of course, this one pointed directly at the river. I managed, however, and ended up window shopping through all the primarily European designer shops. I had a nice sushi lunch.
I took the train back to the airport and decided to just take a taxi to the hotel. The driver told me it would be 200 Baht. I started to object to the high cost. Then I did a little mental calculation and figured out that was about $6.50. I agreed and he got me right to the hotel.

I've eaten several meals at the hotel restaurant and not much elsewhere. I bought instant noodles that I had for breakfast this morning. I'm definitely going to try some of the food vendors in the open market this noon. I have realized that Thai curry and Tom Yum are very spicy--enough to make my brow sweat and give me hiccups. But the food has been very good and all in the under $10 range.

I managed to complete a new story yesterday and get started on the next. I'm a couple thousand words behind goal for the 1 Million Word Challenge, but I think I'll make it up today as I'm working on the new story. I also believe that my next lodging where I'm moving tomorrow will be the long-sought setting for my next Dag Hamar mystery. I'll show you that when I get there. For now, it is 9:15 in the morning, 86 degrees and mostly sunny. Time for another cup of coffee and a trip to the pool!


No comments:

Post a Comment