Sunday, August 10, 2014

A year in the wild

Just twelve months ago today, my daughter and I jumped into the Ford F-150 and towed my new home across the Cascades to Daroga State Park for the first night of my great new adventure. Today, sitting in Nebraska's Chadron State Park, it is difficult to believe that I've been on the road for a year. What a trip!
And It's not over! I have touched the waters of the four coasts of the United States: The Pacific, The Gulf, The Atlantic, and The Lakes.
I have crossed The Columbia, The Colorado, The Rio Grande, The Mississippi, The Susquehanna, The Hudson, The Wabash, and The Platte. I have visited thirty-three states and have seen countless mountains, deserts, prairies, farmlands, and cities.

I have written 700,000 words, pubished four books, and talked to dozens of people who will one day become characters! I have stopped at every roadside rest area, every National Park, and hundreds of historical markers. If in my former life I would have driven by or flown over, I stop and look.

My journey, such as it is, has just begun.

No comments:

Post a Comment