Tuesday, April 8, 2014

Falling Off the Grid

We all talk about going off the grid at times. What a blessing it would be to not have all this "communication" come in all the time. But I didn't realize how far off the grid I was going to fall when I left Naples and entered The Everglades.
 When I passed that monument yesterday afternoon, I pretty much passed out of contact with anything. I hadn't paid much attention to locations when I made my campsite reservation. My GPS told me it was a  mile to the campground. It meant that it was a mile to the entry gate. I thought the lady at the gate said it was eight miles to Flamingo and would take me about forty-five minutes. Oh well. I figured it must be really low speed limits and lots of traffic. No. The speed limit was 55 and straight as an arrow with no cars for the most part. What I misunderstood was that it was 38 miles to the campground. I left the last internet or cell connection at the gate and wound my way southwest.
It's a beautiful campground. I have a nice level parking spot, table, grill and electric. At least my air conditioner works as it's been pushing ninety degrees out. I had my canopy out for a while in the afternoon, but the wind picked up in the evening and I rolled it in. The rain started about nine-thirty. On and off for a few hours, but nothing serious. This morning was beautiful and I met several of my neighbors both last night and this morning. I decided, though that I'd better let family and friends know that I would be out of contact for a week so no one would worry.

I drove close to fifty miles back into Homestead this morning and camped out at a Starbucks for a while. Updating all my contacts and sending text messages and email. Just wanted to let you know, I'm really going off the grid now!

This happens to have been the high point of my visit to the Everglades so far!

No comments:

Post a Comment