Thursday, November 21, 2013

Day 100: Wow!

This day deserves a post of its own just because its a hundred days. It's Sunday and for some unknown reason, I've decided to find a church. The nearest Unitarians are in Los Alamos, so that's where I head. Los Alamos has a familiar ring to it, but I'm actually in the church before one of the greeters tells me that he's sorry he can't give me a tour of the labs because of the new regulations.

Oh, yeah. There's a big nuclear and bio lab here. That's why there's a town of close to 20,000 people isolated up here in the mountains. And it is isolated on a couple ridge fingers that are nine miles apart.

It was a nice service on the tao of difference. The church is also working on a building campaign and seems to be well on their way to a new building.

One thing that was different today was that I saw snow on the upper slopes of the mountains for the first time. I knew it was getting colder up here, but I expect to be long gone before severe weather sets in. This was the view from Los Alamos.


On the way back to camp, I stopped at one of the local landmarks, Camel Rock. Usually when a rock formation has a name it's like a constellation. You squint your eyes, cock your head, and say "Yeah. I see it. Sort of." I can't imagine anyone looking at this rock and seeing anything other than a camel. It's uncanny. I thought it was fake at first.


Well, after 100 days on the road, I don't feel at all tired of this life. I certainly see the draw of not traveling as much or as fast. I think I'd still like to travel fewer miles and stay longer in places. NaNoWriMo has given me a great opportunity to meet other people in New Mexico. I'm wondering what I can use for an excuse to meet people when November is over. I've had a more lively two weeks and met more people both IRL and online than I had in the previous three months.

At the same time, I miss the people from back in Bellevue and especially Quinne. She'll fly to Amarillo on the 25th and we'll have Thanksgiving at sister Sharon's. Other sisters Kim and Lael will also fly in and there will be at least a few nephews, nieces, and grand nephews and nieces. That will be fun.

100 days. Am I ready for another 100? Yes. A thousand? I think so. We'll see.

No comments:

Post a Comment