Sunday, June 9, 2019

Where time has no meaning


I’m startled this morning to find my book release party is in just two weeks. Pre-orders for eBooks on Amazon and Nook are beginning to trickle in. With three books going live the same day, you’d think someone would buy something. Municipal Blondes and Wild Woods are available on both Amazon and Barnes & Noble. Double Time is available only at B&N or through my DevonLayne.com website.

Share this!

In the meantime, I’m still writing and loving my little home. (Even though I need to do dishes. Again!) When I get up in the morning about 5:00, I make coffee and settle into my working chair.

The cat was visiting that day, compliments of Mark and Roxanne, who stayed with me over Memorial Day weekend. As you can see, the sun streams through my window and I look out on a perfectly lovely view of the sunrise.

And I write. Did I mention that? I often write all morning and at noon think about food and wandering up to the lodge to play cards. It’s not unusual for me to catch a nap in one of the comfy chairs at the lodge while I’m pretending to do serious work. Maybe the snores give me away.

Sun Meadow is a lovely and relaxed place. A couple of my pickleball player companions have arrived for the summer now, so I’m thinking I might get some exercise sometime soon. Otherwise, my biggest exercise is walking through the meadow to the lodge once or twice a day. There are many fun events there. Cards in the afternoon, movies Friday night, patio cocktail party Saturday afternoon, carry-in dinner Sunday evening, and dances once or twice a month.

But mostly, I end up sitting in front of my computer, albeit in a beautiful setting, and writing. I generated over 40,000 words this week, completing ten new chapters of Double Twist (Book 4 of “The Transmogrification of Jacob Hopkins”). This week, I will also begin writing the next Deb Riley mystery (sequel to Municipal Blondes) titled Stocks and Blondes. I have a lot of fun with the Deb Riley books and foresee quite a series of them. Someplace along the line, however, I’ll also finish writing the last Dag Hamar mystery, For Mayhem or Madness. It fits between the other two Dag Hamar stories.

We’ve had enough rain that the fields are all incredibly green and lush. I simply get lost in time and don’t remember what day it is or what time. I came back to the trailer after cards and a nap at the lodge yesterday and thought I’d just sit for a few minutes to put down some thoughts on the story before I went back for the patio party. Two and a half hours and 2,000 words later, I realized I’d missed cocktail hour. I made a nice bowl of Ramen noodles and went back to writing.

The writer’s life is idyllic. I’ve entered a world where time does not exist. I’m lost in the lives of my characters and emerge each day to spend a little time in the real world with friends. I kick back with a cigar and a whiskey or a glass of wine in the evening and at night I dream about the stories I’m writing.

There are roughly 40,000 words in the English language, not including variations of the same word, like use, used, user, using. I figure I still have close to 30,000 I haven’t used in one of my books. I think I need to get back to writing!

See you June 23, 2-5 p.m. at Chandler Reach Vineyard Wine Tasting Room, 14450 Woodinville Redmond Road, Suite 107, Woodinville, WA.
Pass it on, okay?

No comments:

Post a Comment