Tuesday, June 12, 2018

It’s all about me


I haven’t been away from my campsite in over a week! As a result, there are no astounding new pictures to show this week. I’m heading toward Spokane for the day today, though, and will keep an eye out for interesting things. In the meantime, here’s a family I caught outside my door a while back.


I have a lot of “Very Important Things” that I need to be doing. In one way or another, nearly all of them involve promoting my new book, City Limits. Promotion is one of the things in this world that I am worst at. Self-promotion borders on abhorrent.

I can sit and talk to people all day long. I can tell about what I’m writing, the development of my characters, funny things about raising a daughter, or my method for choosing a campsite and direction to go when I’m traveling. But my cell phone… I used 15 gigabytes of data a month without breaking a sweat but have a total of only 40 minutes of call time and about 30 text messages. And people ask why I have a flip phone instead of a smart phone!

I will choose almost anything that “Looks Like Work” over doing the “Very Important Things”.

Based on a fan’s very coherent argument that I should write a sequel to one of my online serials (under the name Devon Layne), I was possessed during my 700 miles of travel over Memorial Day by conversations in my head. So, in spite of having two works in progress and two works steeping on the shelf, I started another novel. It was easy at first. I just wrote from another person’s perspective about events I’d already written of in the first serial. But then I realized I needed to coordinate the two perspectives and in order to do that, I needed a calendar of events that both referred to. To create such a calendar, I needed to search through the original serial. Searching through the original serial, I discovered *gasp* errors! There was nothing I could do but start re-editing the original serial. I was only going to edit Book 1 (of 9), but the interesting parts where the two stories collide are in Book 2, so I started compiling the html files for that book and editing.

It looked like work!

Unfortunately, it means that for the past five days, I’ve done no writing, no publicity, no blog posts, and I don’t even think I posted an update on Facebook! I almost forgot to actually order copies of City Limits for the release party. Whew!


Okay. It’s time to get serious here and start promoting the release of City Limits. It’s less than two weeks away!  And there are new developments.


I’ll be signing books and greeting readers at Book & Game Company in Walla Walla, WA on Saturday June 30 from 11:00 until 2:00. If you are in the Walla Walla area or know people who are, please let them know and ask them to help promote the event. This is a casual event and I’ll be located just inside the doors.

I did a book tour for The Gutenberg Rubric that included Book & Game Company a few years ago and was delighted that the staff remembered the presentation and invited me back for this event. Look for my colorful banner!


I’ll also be at the Sun Meadow Patio Party on July 14 during the “Skin to the Wind” Festival of Fun. 4:30-6:00. http://www.sunmeadow.org/ If you are coming to the resort this weekend, be sure to stop and say hi!


There are more things coming. I’m dropping off an ARC of City Limits at Auntie’s Books in Spokane today along with my application for an author event there. If you are willing to help promote an event in Spokane, please let me know!

Okay. I need to get back to the “Very Important Things” now. I’ll talk to you again soon!


No comments:

Post a Comment