Tuesday, April 5, 2016

Decisions, Decisions

I was relieved when I realized that today is only 5 April and I have two more nights here in Kastraki. This area is so incredibly beautiful. But the real reason I was relieved is that I have no idea where I'm headed to next. So, I've been playing with possible destinations and decided to update the old First Exit background and design. Since it is always half hidden by the posts, here's the background that shows where I'm journeying around the world.
That gap through Europe represents three months of train travel between Athens and Amsterdam. So, right at the moment, I'm trying to decide where to next. I have loved the Meteora. I have hiked more in the past two days than in the past year. It's a little chilly today and I'm working on a less rigorous day today. Might stay wrapped in a blanket and write for most of the day.
This seems to be everyone's favorite picture that I've taken here in the Meteora. It is Varlaam Monastery. What's important to realize, though, is that I took the photo from Great Meteoron monastery and am looking DOWN at Varlaam. Of course, in order to get there, I had to go down to the base and climb up again.

This is the village of Kastraki where I'm staying. I love all the white buildings and red tile roofs. And the area is pretty much enchanted. It is beautiful!

But the question remains: Where to from here? I have two or three options which all seem to start about 5:30 Thursday evening when the only train leaves Kalampaka. Option one is to return to Athens and then either find a way out to one of the islands for a few days or continue to Patra and catch a ferry to Italy. Both are appealing, though the islands sound expensive. Option two is to head north via Thessaloniki and go to Sofia, Bulgaria. Every one I've spoken to has indicated that this is one of the most beautiful places I will visit on my journey. Even if I left by way of Italy, I would eventually come back to Sophia.
The gray line is the northern route. You can see that either way I go, I'll see many of the same places. I might even zig-zag more and head from Sofia to Zagreb and Sarajevo before I come back to Romania and Hungary. Based on advice from many people, I am planning several days in Budapest. The question remains as to whether I will be able to visit Turkey. The State Department has a travelers' advisory out saying to stay out of Turkey at the moment. Damn!

There will be more ruminations and more aborted decisions before I finally board that train Thursday evening. I currently have no idea where I'm going! Ain't life great?


No comments:

Post a Comment